FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Fuel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroygayle70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel
    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 5:18pm
Dear members,
I have a 1990 E30 320i convertible and would like to know what is the recommended fuel to keep this car in top condition - should I use 99 Ron and if so which one please
Thanks
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Tony View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 5:44pm
Unless your car has been mapped to need the higher RON fuel, and whilst it's unlikely to do any harm, it would just be a waste of money.

Just stick to the recommended grade as per the inside of the fuel cap cover (usually there or in your owner manual)...which usually says something like 'minimum of 89 AKI or 91 RON'. So anything you can get from a normal UK petrol station would suffice as the lowest unleaded I've seen in 95RON.

I suppose you could ensure you go to a busy fuel station so you know the fuel is always 'fresh', or pay the premium for one of the 'premium' fuels with added cleaning agents (from Shell, Esso, etc. rather than Asda).

I tend to use Tesco Momentum 99RON or Shell V-Power in my Z4MC, but that recommends 95RON+

Edited by Tony - 22 Jun 2021 at 5:48pm
2006 Z4MC
164k mile, Individual Ruby Black, Extended Champagne & Piano Black trim
Leroygayle70 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroygayle70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 8:55pm
Thanks Tony for the detail here 👌
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:46am
Just because the car will run on 91 octane does not mean that it will give its best - this depends on factors such as the shape of the advance curve and compression ratio.  Use of the minimum octane rating will be 'satisfactory' but will not necessarily give the rated power output.  Most BMW engines are rated for use of 98 octane. 

For example, BMW state that on an E36 M3 the fabled 321 bhp will reduce to 280 bhp when used on 95 octane, while the 1.9 litre M44 will give rated power on 95 octane, but BMW state that use of 98 octane will improve this by about 10%.  Fuel consumption will usually improve when running on a good 97 octane - Shell V-Power excepted!

Another factor is that in a car which is a 'Garage Queen' and sees very little use, the UK brand of 95 octane can evaporate over a winter by about 30%, leaving a brown-ish residue which is not a good fuel in terms of starting or efficiency.

A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Leroygayle70 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroygayle70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:53am
Interesting posts, thank you for your input, I'll probably make the extra spend and use 99 octane all things considered Thumbs Up
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 3:47pm
my feeling it depends how much you value the car, my old E39 523i I put the cheapest available in, its managed 191K miles. My 4.4 V8 supercharged Alpina I only put Shell V Power. The two cars are totally different to me.
Robert View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 5:50pm
I don't know if yours is the same as my 1990 E30 M3 being of the same vintage it had two wires with a connection just outside of the ECU near the glove box. One black and the other blue. I can't remember but there was a connection option which switched the ECU from 95 to 98.

It did make a difference, I would always get at least 4mpg more using 98 or 99 when switched correctly.

Rob.
 Post Reply Post Reply