FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Hoping to become a 1Series owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geedubelyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hoping to become a 1Series owner
    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 5:38pm
Hello all,
I hope this is in the correct section. 
My name is Guy and I am hoping to buy a 1Series to replace an ageing Toyota Corolla. 
At the moment I am a complete newbie to all things 1Series so hope I can count on you folks to help me sort out what I should look out for.
My budget won't stretch to a new car so pre-owned is my only option. 
Thankfully the Corolla soldiers on for now so I have the luxury of some time before I'm forced to make a decision. 
Why the 1Series over other BMWs? Well, my good lady will be the main user and prefers a more compact car. 
The ideal car will be an automatic petrol with leather and cruise. 
If I suggest a budget in the £10K region what do you think I ought to be looking for? Are there any known areas of concern that you think I ought to be wary of?
Any and all help and suggestions are welcome. 
Much appreciated, thanks.
All the best,
Guy
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:06am
Think hard about the regular problems of the cheaper 1 Series, and the upkeep costs!  At the risk of being drummed out of the BMWCC,  I would prefer to spend the same money on a Golf GTi . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
geedubelyer View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geedubelyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Mike Fishwick Mike Fishwick wrote:

Think hard about the regular problems of the cheaper 1 Series, and the upkeep costs!  At the risk of being drummed out of the BMWCC,  I would prefer to spend the same money on a Golf GTi . . .

😄
Thanks for that Mike. 
The GTi could be an option but since my good lady is the main user we wondered if a smaller engined 1series might save us a little on insurance?
Getting back to your response perhaps you could elaborate on the "regular problems" and"upkeep costs"you mention please? 
That is just the sort of information I'd like to find out about, thanks
All the best,
Guy
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 5:38pm
Personally, unless knew the car and owner I would not buy any vehicle unless it was with at least 12 month BMW used approved warranty. That is unless I could afford to write off the purchase price. I have an E39 cost 500 pounds 7 years ago, but another vehicle which costs 2K warranty payment as year. However under UK law if the person who sells you a car is a dealer, garage or trader you have 6 months consumer protection.
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 8:19pm
Try the 1 Series Register direct on 1series@bmwcarclubgb.co.uk
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geedubelyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 8:28pm
Thanks for the advice Norrie. 
@NickDE, thanks. I'll give it a try. 👍
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geedubelyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 7:07pm
Just wanted to thank you guys for your help. I have bought a new car now but since it's not a BMW I shall probably not stay on the forums. 
All the best and stay safe.
Cheers. 
 Post Reply Post Reply