FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

BMW Software Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW Software Upgrade
    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 11:17am
The December 2020 magazine gives some information on page 13 relating to an update to the iDrive Operating System.  However, it gives no clues as to which models/years of our cars that this covers.  Anyone got any further info...?

Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

rpennington View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 1:34pm
hi roger

The update refers to idrive  operating system 7,if any vehicles that aren't running 7 then i assume it wont make any difference. I installed the connected drive app on my iphone a few months ago, you could get that if you have a smart phone & that will notify you when the time comes.The other thing you could do is go to the bmw software update page & enter the full vin number & that will tell you if there are any updates for your car at this time.

hope this helps

rich
1999 E46 323i se Saloon - sold
2011 E90 325d msport - sold
2014 F30 335d xdrive msport plus pack
Roger123 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:22pm
Hi Rich

Ok, thanks for that.  I'll check out the VIN and see what it says.  Just out of interest, do you know if I can interrogate the iDrive on the car to tell me what version number is running?

Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 3:50pm
Hi roger

Hope this will help you out. This is from my Idrive system but i would imagine there all very similar apart from the earlier cars.

From the main menu, select navigation then press options button, scroll to navigation system version then select it this will show the map version details your car will have.

The other section is vehicle information, select this & then press options button & scroll to software information this will bring up information on contained software & licenses.

This another section go to Settings, then software update this will show the current version for communication,entertainment & information

Regards
Rich
Roger123 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:27pm
Thanks for the additional info Rich.

Well, surprise surprise, I found my VIN quite easily, and checked it on the website.  Information coming back indicates that an upgrade can be carried out on mine.  However, since I don't use the Navigation system, nor do I subscribe to the Connected Drive service, I'm not sure it will personally offer me any useful benefits.  Unless someone knows differently...

Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:38pm
You don’t have to use the navigation or connected drive service to do an upgrade. It doesn’t cost anything to do it. The update will just update the software that it needs to on the idrive system.

Rich
Roger123 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 11:17am
Ok Rich, understand I don't have to use the navigation system or connected service to carry out the upgrade.  Just wondering what other benefits, if any, I will see should I go ahead with it.

I get my main BMW garage to service the car these days.  Are they likely to carry out the upgrade as part of a normal service?

Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 1:20pm
The upgrade is not a part of navigation or connected drive services updates.There will be more information about the software update on the software update page. What it updates I really can’t answer because it differs between vehicles.

If you ask them they might do it for you, if you don’t have the capabilities or equipment to do it yourself

Rich
 Post Reply Post Reply