FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Headlamp washers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandit1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headlamp washers
    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:19am
Hi all
Newby here, I have just bought a 3series touring (330d) 2010 model year and I have to say I love it!
It has quite a few extras fitted most of which are very useful. However I hate the headlamp wash system! I read somewhere that this can be decoded so I went to my local BMW (franchised garage) but they said as it is integral to the car, they would not do it!. I can't just take out the fuse as I believe the same fuse controls the wipers as well. Any help and or advice would be much appreciated. I am based in Derbyshire but in this car I would drive anywhere😀 
Regards 
David 

Edited by Bandit1 - 01 Oct 2020 at 10:29am
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 5:27pm
Just to satisfy my curiosity, what is the problem with the headlamp washers?

Our old Mk4 Golf GTD washes its headlamps on every third screen wash, which is not a problem, but I suppose BMW have dreamed up some odd operating mode!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Bandit1 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandit1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 7:05pm
Thanks for the reply Mike
The headlamp wash system seems to work on time elapsed and or every 4th or 5th press of the windscreen washers, assuming the headlights are on of course.
I have the usual problem in that the bumper mounted washer jets after use are not retracting fully😤 They can be pushed in and will stay flush. And I do not like the bonnet getting covered in washer fluid hence my desire for a quick fix for this! Any thoughts? Any independents near me who might be able to help?
Regards
David

NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 9:18pm
You should be able to code this out using Carly, which can also change how often they squirt if you want.
Or go old fashioned and unplug the wires that feed the headlamp washer pump
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Bandit1 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandit1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:45pm
Thanks NickDE
So Carly is a diagnostic tool that an independent should have?
I am worried about pulling wires as this might upset the electronics generally.
Regards
David 
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 11:16am

Carly is an app for your phone, plus a dongle to plug into the OBD port.

Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Bandit1 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandit1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:20am
Thanks for the replies. I took the car to my local Indy and in a few short strokes on their electronic wizardry it is all done, no more splashed bonnet 😀 Not sure why BMW wouldn't/couldn't help as it seemed very straightforward. Now, if it had been a chipping issue or putting a bigger wheel on than is recommended then I can understand their reluctance but a simple programming issue😤 The problem I find is it is hard to talk/find the people at BMW who know how and or why not. A shame really as engaging with people who are interested in their products makes for better informed and more satisfied customer. I have been left with a very good feeling about the Indy I used and would certainly go back to them and not the main dealer.
Regards

Post Reply Post Reply