FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Any Advice Please?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HullE89Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Advice Please?
    Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 6:01pm
Dear Members.... I need the benefit of your experience please.... I am a new owner of a 2013 E89 Z4 Roadster (Smile) joined the BMW Owners Club in Dec'18 and I intend to tour France Italy and Switzerland in her later this year.

I have trawled through Google (without much luck) to get some info on the following subjects:-
* What happens if my hood fails when in the DOWN mode.... Can you raise it manually???? (Hopefully it wont as the car has only done 18k miles and is always kept garaged)
* Do i need to re-direct the Zenon headlights for driving in Europe???
* And finally, do I need a Green Card as well as my Log Book, My Insurance & My Driving Licence??

Any help would be much appreciated....
That's All For Now...
Over & Out
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

dteagles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dteagles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 6:32pm
I can't answer the first question, for the second, yes you do if you don;t want to risk getting pulled over and fined, for the third....it depends on Brexit but from what I have heard it takes about a month to get a green card so as long as you apply in plenty of time you should be OK.

Think about what you can do for the club, not what it can do for you...
Paul.S View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 9:34pm
I am fairly sure that the Zenon headlights dip flat, ie not right or left, so they should be ok. Your manual or dealer should confirm this.

Most insurance policies cover you for the minimum cover required in the country that you visit, usually third party only. A green card will confirm that you have your full UK cover when abroad, fully comprehensive if that is the case on your policy in the UK. So well worth having.

In France you will also need spare bulbs for non led lights, a warning triangle,a first aid kit, dayglo vests for each passenger and the driver and a breathaliser kit. It is a legal requirement to carry the breathaliser although the law enforcing its use was apparently not passed.

If you intend to drive on Swiss motorways you will need to purchase a vignette (a form of road tax) and display it on your windscreen.

Edited by Paul.S - 17 Jan 2019 at 10:04pm
HullE89Man View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HullE89Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 10:46pm
That’s a great help... Yeah got the French travel pack, but interesting feedback recSwiz driving. Thank you for your help πŸ‘
That's All For Now...
Over & Out
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HullE89Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 10:48pm
Great... Thanks for your help πŸ‘
That's All For Now...
Over & Out
issus View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote issus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 4:25pm
The acknowledged expert in Travelling in Europe is Mike Fishwick who lives in France and is a BMWCC member. He also owns a red Z3. You will find him on here - just put Mike Fishwick in search box.

regards Tony

Edited by issus - 05 Feb 2019 at 4:41pm
E46 320d Sport Myst Blue 054 reg - probably the best BMW ever
Office View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Office Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 4:38pm
*Mike Fishwick rather than Mike Fisher, also Alan Jones is very knowledgeable on the Z's- try him on z3register@bmwcarclubgb.co.uk 
BMWCCHQ
issus View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote issus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 4:50pm
I did notice my error but quite right you beat me to it.

reg Tony
E46 320d Sport Myst Blue 054 reg - probably the best BMW ever
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HullE89Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 4:51pm
Many Thanks
That's All For Now...
Over & Out
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HullE89Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 5:01pm
Many Thanks for all the replies.... I have decided to play safe, so have gone ahead and purchased a "Xenon Beam Bending Kit" from Halfords, along with a spare set of Xenon Bulbs to carry with my Day-Glo Vests, First Aid Kit, Triangle and Breatherliser kit(s).... ( Wont have much room for luggage at this rate)

Still no advice on the E89 Z4 Roadster Roof Confused.... So will just have to stay positive that it wont go faulty whilst away..... Will also check with my Local Dealership.... Surely they will have some advice (??!!)
That's All For Now...
Over & Out
Paul.S View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:10am
I have owned a Z4 E89 for 2 years now and had the same concerns about the roof when I first purchased it. Since then I have done 2 European trips with no issues and in last years heat wave the roof was up and down numerous times with no problems.

I am not aware of anyone having issues and no longer worry about it.

I believe there may have been issues with some E84 models due to the motor being in a more exposed position where it was subject to corrosion.

You can if you want buy a set of fitted luggage which fits with the roof down ( at a price ), called Roadsterbag, really useful for holiday trips and convenient when staying in hotels.

Safety/dayglow jackets are supposed to be kept in the car, not the boot. The most convenient way is to make up a small bag or container that fits within the netting behind the seats.
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:16pm
You also need to purchase the motorway driving permit for Switzerland (Vignette?) and if winter carry snow chains ( from RAC site).
n
Roger123 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:23pm
I've no idea about the Z series, but on the 6 series cars, there should be an Allen key which can be used to manually wind up the hood should it fail electrically.  When I bought my secondhand 6 from a BMW dealership, I asked if the Allen key was in place and the salesman gave me a blank look!  I had to show HIM where the key is stored.  In the 6 it's tucked away inside the centre rear armrest which also houses the first aid kit.
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HullE89Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 3:35pm
This is GREAT info Paul.... and YES I think I might be worrying over the roof issue too much.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post .... I really appreciate it.Smile
That's All For Now...
Over & Out
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HullE89Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 3:37pm
Thanks Norrie.... Got the vignette sorted and it only took 2 days to arrive... Impressed... There is Aug/Sept so HOPEFULLY wont need snow chains.
That's All For Now...
Over & Out
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HullE89Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 3:41pm
Thanks Roger BUT it appears that this is the one shortfall of the E89... Z4 Roadster... No Manual Mechanism to raise/close the roof!!

I will still check with the dealership, service dept though !! Smile
That's All For Now...
Over & Out
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:45pm
I do not know if your Z4 has a flat dip, but the owners manual should tell you - as will your garage wall!  I remember reading that the headlamps can be changed to LHD by removing each front wheel and opening the back of the headlamp to access the changeover lever. 

I know that no self-respecting male ever reads the owners manual, but it may have details of any mechanical back-up to operate the hood.  Also remember the limit switch operated by the parcel shelf which stops the hood being lowerd if the boot is over-full.

Remember also that the general speed limit on normal roads is now 80 kph / 50 mph, or 90 kph on three-lane roads where you are driving on the 2-lane section.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HullE89Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 6:10pm
Many Thanks Mike. Yes I have downloaded the Z4 E89 manual but it doesn't give any info on setting the head lights or sorting the roof manually....
I'll just have to hope that my local dealership has the knowledge πŸ€”

That's All For Now...
Over & Out
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 8:40pm
Ask your questions on the Z4 forum. If someone there doesn't know the answer, no-one will...

Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
 Post Reply Post Reply