FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Owners viewpoint needed please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Owners viewpoint needed please
    Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:44pm
Hi All,
Looking for some input here.

My only experience of owning a BMW was a 730, great drive for about 3 months then the gearbox went, didn't leave a great taste.

I'm thinking about buying a Z4 and would like your considered opinions of wether this would be a good car to suit my circumstances  

I've got a Mazda MX5 and love it, its not the fastest or the best looking of cars and it does have a hiardresser car type image, but I've had more fun driving that than any other car I've ever had, and that includes RX7s, Porsche 924 & 944 as well as a heap of Mercs & Audis.

I do quite a lot of long journeys, 400 milles in a days run is not unusual and I find that the Mazda is fine over these distances.

However I've now got a dodgy left knee and hip and and I think my days of driving a manual are fast running out so looking for an auto to replace it, but frankly the MX5 auto is not a great car.

I've been looking at alternatives, my first thought was the Merc SLK280, but I'm not that impressed with Merc build quality & reliability. None of the Audi's float my boat and I'm really not keen on anything VW.

So I'm after something that handles nicely, feels sporty, has reasonable performance good fuel consumption. reasonable priced parts, servicing etc and must be reliable.

I don't want something that feels like a samll saloon car

I'd like to be able to cruise down the motorway at 70 and still hear the radio or carry on a conversation. I prefer a soft top. Not fussed about A/C.

So in your opinion is a Z4 going to fit the bill ?

If so which one ?

Are there any years/models that I should avoid.

In terms of price its going to have to be around a 2005 with fairly big mileage which I Know may impact reliabilty or do these cars take high mileages.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Chaz
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Paul Rice View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:15am
Had my Z4 for over a year now its a 2.5 Manual, although several friends have the 3.0 auto and thats the one to go for IMO. Great straight six engine capable of big mailages. As for long distance i also have  Z3 and as a long distance cruiser the Z4 is streets ahead. Motorway driving with the hood up compares with any modern hardtop BMW but give it a country lane or coastal route with the top down its something special.
Paul 2003 Z4 2.5 Sterling grey
2018 320i GT M sport Estoril Blue
In love with driving again
Paul Rice View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:21am
Good time to buy prices lower at the moment
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:29pm
400 miles in a Z, guess that might be Ok in the summer. I find it difficult to see how you switched from a 7 series to a Z? Or from Mazda to a 7 series?

Which 7 series was this? I think you will find that any 7 series is reliable after 2004 which the first i drive 7 series had been sorted out, would not have a 2002/03.

If I was doing 400 miles in a day and it was not scenic with the roof down around country lanes I dont think a Z anything would be applicable, a 5 or 7 series might be better. But everyone has to make their own choice,
n
Chaz View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 7:10pm
Thanks Guys
Norman, I just like hood down motoring, couple of months ago I was in Flintshire seeing a customer, next day I set off in the MX5 and drove down thru Wales popped out at Chepstow and a quick blast down the M4 home. Did 468 miles with the hood down and loved every minute of it.
Currently switching between a Merc E320 ad the MX5 and I'd take the MX5 any day, makes driving a pleasure again.
Chaz
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:25pm
The Z series have a very good driving position for six-footers - a lot better than the front of a 7 Series or any other BMW saloon, which is compromised to increase rear seat legroom.

I have easily covered 400 miles in a day with my Z3, and 650 on occasion - with the roof down!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:25pm
Whilst Sussex is a lovely place, I can't avoid the M25 going north, so no such luxury open roads for me.
n
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:38pm
7 series LWB is plenty roomy

Edited by Norrie - 07 Dec 2018 at 8:52am
n
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:06pm
Look for a post facelift E85 3.0si auto. They have the more powerful later engine, plus more importantly the auto box with flappy paddles. If you like a lot of roof down then look for heated seats as well.

A properly maintained Z4 will take high mileage, there are quite a few going strong on 200K+. Parts and repairs are not a problem, they are basically 3 series from a mechanical viewpoint. They don't have major rust problems. Find yourself a good one, then enjoy.
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:15pm
I only been in a Z3 once, I looked like Big Ears in the passenger seat.
n
davebrindlee36m3 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davebrindlee36m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Norrie Norrie wrote:

7 series LBW is plenty roomy s
Do you mean LWB Norrie...?Wink
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:26pm
Long wheelbase, yes. However, the 7 series SWB gives plenty of room.

Edited by Norrie - 07 Dec 2018 at 8:54am
n
Chaz View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 6:28pm
Update
Just thought I'd post an update/outcome of this post.

I'm now the proud owner of a '06 3.0Si Sport with 6 speed auto box with flappy paddles. The 'Sports' package included M Seats, Steering Wheel, suspension (apparently) and seats.
Had it 4 weeks and absolutely love it, in that time I've added a Gap-Tech module to remote open/close the roof, changed the standard radio to a Kenwood mechless unit with DAB radio & phone retaining steering wheel controls and fitted a dashcam.
Next up are DRL with a controller,  and correcting the paintwork and possibly ceramic sealing it.
So thanks to all who helped me get to this point
Chaz
Doddsy View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doddsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:21pm
Congratulations mate. Enjoy it 👍
Now: Z4C 3.0si Sport Manual Silver Grey
Gone:
Z4 2.5si M-sport Titan Silver
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:56pm
Not sure I helped but enjoy!
n
Paul Rice View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 12:35pm
Great choice Chaz
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 2:00pm
Congratulations.Join the Z4 Forum for yet more ideas of how to spend money on your Zed
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
 Post Reply Post Reply