FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Self levelling suspention issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl4.8is Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self levelling suspention issue
    Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 6:09pm
I've just bought a 54 plate x5 4.8is and it's a great car but I've just got a warning up on the dash about the self levelling suspention inactive but don't understand why haven't been doing anything apart from driving it on the road didnt even check the self leveling suspention.
Is this a major fault.....

Edited by Carl4.8is - 06 Jul 2017 at 6:09pm
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

PhilBM View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 1:00pm
On my X5 (E70) I didn't have a warning light but the car used to sag after being parked overnight and the fault which is quite a common one was down to a perished near side air bag. Does your car sag on it's suspension after being parked for a while? Could be either the air bag or the compressor or something else, try googling the problem you have and see if you get any results which match your experience. But I dare say it's a garage visit to find the root cause. 
87 E30 325i Sport
15 F15 X5 40d M Sport
18 420i M Sport coupe
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 2:37pm
A friend recently had this problem on his 5 series Touring, the price of a new air bag being about £1000, plus about £500 to fit it and of course reset the computer.

Modern cars?   No thanks!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
PhilBM View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 2:51pm
Mike, they sound like main dealer prices. I bought two German Arnott air bags (with a 2 year warranty) directly from the manufacturer for just under £200 including postage from Germany and then another 2 hours labour (£140) to fit and adjust the ride height.
87 E30 325i Sport
15 F15 X5 40d M Sport
18 420i M Sport coupe
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 7:43pm
All of which shows that BMW are systematically overcharging their customers in the hope that they will either buy a newer car, or go away and not bother them. 
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Carl4.8is View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl4.8is Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 7:46am
Cheers guys I will look in to it... thanks for the suggestions
PhilBM View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 1:11pm
Sorry Carl 4.8is, I quoted the wrong air bags in my earlier post. The ones I purchased were Aerosus not Arnott although they are the other brand available.

Best of luck getting your problem resolved.
87 E30 325i Sport
15 F15 X5 40d M Sport
18 420i M Sport coupe
 Post Reply Post Reply