FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Airbox Top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airbox Top
    Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:00am
Any ideas, I want to obtain an original Airbox top 1997 1.9. When I bought the car it had a free flow filter which lays in the bootom of the airbox and the air temperature sensor lays in the bottom of the airbox.
I notice the proper cone air filter has a hole for the Tempeture sensor to fit in, which would be more logical. Have tried the breakers locally and the ones who advertises in the club magazine without success I don't think what I have is recognised modification and the tickover gets lumpy when hot which may be the cause. I have looked on e bay but think it highly likely I finish up with the wrong one as I have no idea what it looks like. Will post a picture of my modification.

Edited by ZGreen - 28 May 2017 at 9:08am
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:05pm
I am not surprised that the tickover gets lumpy when hot - the filter is drawing  hot air from the radiator, which upsets the carefully-designed fuelling map of the ECU, not to mention reducing the engine's volumetric efficiency.

So many people think that fitting a massive air filter will improve performance, and seem oblivious to the basic problems, ending up with worse performance.  Of course, the increased intake noise is more important to many people than performance!

If you really want to retain the K&N filter, the only answer is to make an enclosure around it, which is sealed against the inside of the bonnet when closed.  Frankly this is a lot of work and is a waste of time, for there are many complelling reasons not to use K&N filters. 

You would be better off buying a standard airbox top,  fitting a standard filter element, and making a cold air inlet pipe to improve of the dreadful standard air intake path.  Have a look at my article on this in the 'How To' forum.

Edited by Mike Fishwick - 28 May 2017 at 1:22pm
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
ZGreen View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:27pm
Sorry i dont think perhaps i made it clear i want to return it to standard but am having no luck obtaining an original lid. I have tried local scrap yards seen complete air boxes advertised on E bay but whether they are correct i would not be certain enough to purchase one. I quite agree it is a lash up looking job and it costs me 15% premium om my insurance.It was like it when i bought it but several bigger jobs got in the way, as they do

Edited by ZGreen - 01 Jun 2017 at 9:21am
rpennington View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:30pm
Hi zgreen

I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of that dreaded k&n air filter, I remember when I first started to drive they were a bit of a craze although I never fitted them to my cars, as I like to keep mine standard.
If you want to check which air box is right for your car & you go the eBay route, if you haven't already go on www.realoem.com & type in the last 7 digits of chassis number, then find the correct section & this will give you the part number to match your car. Once you have got the part number cut & paste it into the search box of eBay & hopefully it will bring up the air box you need.
Regards to scrap yards try quarry motors they are a BMW breakers. I have used them myself,found them very helpful & they have been to some car club events in the past.

Regards rich
1999 E46 323i se Saloon - sold
2011 E90 325d msport - sold
2014 F30 335d xdrive msport plus pack
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 3:21pm
You could also try registering on zroadster.net and puttin an advert in the Z3 forum, as lots of members fit K&N filters in a misguided quest for power!  Most of them, to be honest, just like the illusion of power whic hthe intake noise gives tothem!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Paul Rice View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 3:31pm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-1-9-M44-140PS-Air-filter-box-Intake-silencer-1743326-/112384792560?hash=item1a2aa7d7f0:g:gPEAAOSwN6JY~02q

This is the airbox you need for the M44, believe its the same in a similar year 318iS

Did have induction on mine gone back to original airbox no difference in power doesn't sound as throaty but to me looks more pleasing under the bonnett.
Paul 2003 Z4 2.5 Sterling grey
2018 320i GT M sport Estoril Blue
In love with driving again
Paul Rice View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 3:34pm
ZGreen View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 5:41pm
Thanks very much will look into the uk one which is collection but not to far away.
ZGreen View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:18am
Hi, just to update you have purchased the Airbox you suggested. Cannot collect until Saturday.
But hopefully it will be OK.
Having been looking at my present bottom part of the Airbox the insulation is breaking up inside and note most suggest removing it. I assume this is there to insulate the interior from under bonnet heat,
The air pipe across the top of the radiator is also heavily insulated. Giving BMW the benefit of the doubt I assume, the radiator heat is a known value, plus the very thick insulation helps to keep the Air pipe
cool but at a known value range. So therefore is it possible to obtain some insulation to replace the
one that is breaking up inside the airbox. It cannot come to much harm under the Air filter but if the lid is also insulated it would be best removed as it could be harmful unless a suitable replacement is available.

Paul Rice View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 5:57pm
Would imagine the only place for this would be the dealer if still avilable. The foam stuff inside the airbox on mine has all but disappeared. If you need any pics of mine drop me a pm or post.
ZGreen View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 6:23pm
Thanks. Very much but there is still some left in mine so got a pattern. Have a look round B & Q possibly. Then I may leave without and see how it runs first.
Paul Rice View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:05am
Sure it will run fine, think sometimes things are over engineered (that's why we love BMW's)

Edited by Bowler - 02 Jun 2017 at 12:06am
ZGreen View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 8:18am
 Thank you Smile .
ZGreen View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 3:16pm
Airfilter box collected on Saturday, condition good apart from a small crack in the top near the resonator
entry point. Coloured a small piece of P40 black and filled the small crack, interior all cleaned out as it was all breaking up. Obtained new filter Element today, checked the temperature sensor and all seems to work fine had it running for about an hour and tickover never varied in speed.
So we have it A.S.O.B  For those to young ( Absolutely Standard Old Boy ) Smile.

Paul Rice View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Rice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 3:23pm
Excellant Thumbs Up
ZGreen View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:16am
First longer Run Yesterday, M40 going down to Classics on the Crick at Naphill and normal Roads back,
Tickover fine in all situations and water level spot on the mark after the water pump job.

Edited by ZGreen - 12 Jun 2017 at 11:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply