FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

French Breathalysers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: French Breathalysers
    Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 10:58am
It looks likely that the French requirement to carry a breathalyser will become active law from next year, accordmg to a recent article in the Guardian.

Fancy electronic types are available at 49 Euros, but unless you plan to drink and drive the 1 Euro type will satisfy the Gendarmerie.

Expect a possible check on this at French ferryports, and a definite check at any 'Your papers please'  roadside checks.

No doubt we will now have the usual whining about Brussels/French/EU  etc etc, but it must be remembered thast the French have  a much higher incidence of drink and driving that in the UK.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 11:38am
Why whinge about the EU ? This is a French only law. If you want to whinge, whinge about individual countries developing stupid laws.
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 3:52pm
It may be a French Law, but it applies to tourists as well.

Believe me, Bits will whinge about it, and try to ignore it.  Then they can complain again when they receive a roadside fine, rather than spend £1 or so on a breathalyser.  Half the Bits probably imagine that the UK is now above French law!

Edited by Mike Fishwick - 29 Apr 2017 at 4:33pm
DAVE P View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Mike Fishwick Mike Fishwick wrote:

It may be a French Law, but it applies to tourists as well.

Believe me, Bits will whinge about it, and try to ignore it.  Then they can complain again when they receive a roadside fine, rather than spend £1 or so on a breathalyser.  Half the Bits probably imagine that the UK is now above French law!

What are "bits"
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 4:33pm
Ok Ok - 'Brits' . . .
Tony View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:41pm
I've had a pack of AlcoSense(?) ones in my car since the law was first mooted about 6 years ago...before it kept getting delayed due to the commercial connections between one of the 2 companies making them and the pressure group responsible for the idea.

They're probably out of date, and probably the wrong type, but it's the thought that counts Confused

Also have (not all necessary for France, but for other countries I may visit):
  • a fire extinguisher
  • first aid kit
  • spare bulb kit (not that I could change one of my HIDs without a full tool-kit, jack, ramp, garage)
  • spare glasses
  • hi-vis vest (reachable from driver's seat)
  • headlight beam converters (never used, just change the switch on the headlights instead)
  • GB sticker (although have a GB sticker on the reg plate, so I don't believe this is necessary),
  • warning triangle (came with the car, and doubled-up with another in a 'European Driving Kit' I have)
I've also read of something called the 'European Good Samaritan Law', but don't know if it's really a legal requirement or wishful thinking, as it suggests that if you don't stop to help somebody who needs assistance then you fined or imprisoned.

Edited by Tony - 01 May 2017 at 2:55pm
2006 Z4MC
164k mile, Individual Ruby Black, Extended Champagne & Piano Black trim
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 2:19pm
Yes - the requirement to stop and render assistance is common to most EU countries except of course the UK, where of course we do not want to get involved with strangers, considering that to be the job of the 'right' people!

In Germany you are also required to carry latex gloves to prevent the transfer of HIV etc. while doing so.

It's odd how many normal people will look the other way when a stranger needs their help, wheather on the road or eleswhere - after all, it may become necessary to touch them!  Perhaps Brits prefer to leave a stranger to die, rather than render basic first aid. 

One source of this phobia is the usual 'I might be suied'  if the injured party dies - any excuse!

Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 1:31pm
The requirement to carry at least one unused breathalyser is not (EDIT - NOW) active, so be prepared!

Edited by Mike Fishwick - 13 Jun 2017 at 8:09am
BrianW View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 11:27pm
Can you clarify please Mike, is the requirement not active or now active.
Thanks
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 8:08am
Sorry - NOW active!

mjn77 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjn77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 8:03am
I better get some more!

Mind, in 8 years of driving abroad, never once been stopped for a check.
BrianW View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 1:07pm
I have just found some for my next trip, mostly spent in Germany, although will briefly be going through France.

I have been driving in Europe for nearly fifty years, got stopped and breathalyzed for the first time in April by the Belgians.
Although they tried to Breathalyze my passenger firstLOL

Thing looked like a microphone, couldn't understand why they wanted me to blow into a microphone Tongue

All was clear and was sent on my way.
mjn77 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjn77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 5:00pm
Only grief abroad was also in Belgium, when the Police towed my car for a parking offence :(

Expensive end to the trip, €295 release fee, plus taxi cost to the impound yard.
 Post Reply Post Reply