FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

E30 M3 number 2....(photo heavy)..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:16pm
Spring is here!

That means the M3 is now out of its winter slumber where it has resided with my other E30 which doesn't really get a look in these days.. 240 miles in it last year and a chunk of that was for my wedding.

So what do we have here? A freshly rebuilt LSD including new clutch plates with the lock upgraded from 25% to 40%, the ratio changed from 3.25 to 3.46 (which the 320iS uses) finished off with a new Z3M back plate which has extra cooling fins and a stronger bush over the E30 back plate.

Ive only driven it home from the workshop but early signs are good, tomorrow ill be off out on a better drive with clearer roads.
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 11:09pm
Update time.

The black leather BMW sport seat interior has been replaced with an anthracite cloth interior with the rare optional Recaro LS seats as ive had these seats in a few E30's over the years and some Fords from my youth and find the more comfortable and supportive than the BMW sport seat. That and the cloth grips you better than the leather.

Pressed into regular use again after the LSD was fitted i began to notice a noise at low speeds which i pretty much new what it was going to be before i investigated as it was quite a distinctive rattle ive heard on other E30 M3's.

What was more worrying was that i was booked for the DN19 track day a few weeks after i noticed said noise.

So gearbox out, the detachable bell housing of the Getrag 265/5 making it a bit quicker/easier for it to be stripped and rebuilt with all new bearings and anything else it needed.

BIG shout out to All-gears in Worksop who not only repaired it cheaper than i could have (BMW want £900+vat for the bearings, gaskets and seals alone!) but also got it turned around in time for the track day.

First track day at the Ring after years of Touristenfarten and its the way forward. Had a great time but im beginning to find the limitations of its very much road biased suspension so i think it might be time to retire it from track work.

We shall see.

Edited by BSS. - 18 Jun 2018 at 12:01pm
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:52pm
And so it begins....

Started to strip it down for a full bare metal repaint and tend to any corrosion along the way.

Many brand new parts have been ordered for it from BMW including

Both front wings
Bonnet
Both bumpers
Sunroof panel
Sport evo rear spoiler
Front and rear screens

Windscreen had a massive crack in it from what felt like a rock hitting it chasing some one through pflanzgarten, when i was taking it apart i whacked it and just shattered.

More to follow over the next few weeks, did want it done in time for Gaydon but thats not going to happen.
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:53pm

Some of the rust that started in the usual place of the front floors. Sections cut from a rust free car provided repair sections as these cannot be bought new.

Much the same on the other side.

Previous damaged for being poorly jacked up.

Bayerische View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:12am
Looking forward to following your build Barry.

Out of curiosity, why are you replacing both bumpers?
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Bayerische Bayerische wrote:

Out of curiosity, why are you replacing both bumpers?

I got a pair of brand new ones for a very good price and much less prep work than repairing, prepping and painting my old bumpers that had been painted more than once.
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:46pm
Bodyshop update time as its been a while.

Right rear sill looking a bit scabby

Cut open to reveal some sneaky rust

Cleaned up and repaired.

Further along the same sill, previous damage from being jacked up poorly needed repairing.

The rear tow eye area had a few small scabs so we though it best to cut a section of the the rear panel off to have a look inside, glad we did!

Tow eye cut off and cleaned up before being welded back on

Front panel cut off, poor thing looking sorry for itself!

New front panel welded on and trial fit of new wings, bonnet and bumper

Its now looking like the engine, gearbox and everything else is going to come out.

From what was going to be some minor rust repair, a repaint has now turned in to a full blown resto. :? 

Didn't think it would go this far but i should know more than anyone how these things can snow ball with E30's.

In for a penny and all that!
davebrindlee36m3 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davebrindlee36m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 2:12pm
Great article...Smile Keep it going..Clap
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:41pm
Your metal work guy seems to know what he's doing.

Looking forward to more updates.
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Bayerische Bayerische wrote:

Your metal work guy seems to know what he's doing.

Looking forward to more updates.

Same bodyshop that did your E28 M5 Nick.

They do are doing all of our body work as well as ML's.
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 10:29pm

The Sunroof tray is one of the E30 bodies well known rust traps due to it being a collection point of moisture and virtually zero protection with only a light dusting of paint on the tray and bare E-coat on the inside of the outer roof skin.

Upon close inspection there were signs of of surface corrosion starting in the M3 so this needed to be addressed now as left to fester it would spread to the outer skin and perforate it meaning a new skin or a tricky repair.
As new sunroof trays are NLA a whole used roof with virtually no corrosion was purchased  and after the outer skin was cut away i was left with the donor tray pictured above.

This was then blasted back to bare metal then etch primed although i forgot to get a pic of it.

With my old sunroof try cut away you can see the extent of the surface corrosion in the pics above.

Inside of the skin was ground back to bare metal and a rust neutraliser used.

Inside of the roof skin primed and painted in Lachs silver.

Sunroof tray primed and painted in Lachs silver.

Bonded and welded into place as per factory but now fully painted inside and out so with some cavity wax applied when the body resto is complete will mean this area will be much more protected than when it was originally made.

Next step will be to remove the engine, gearbox, axles etc to tackle the underside.
///M3Mike View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 8:33am
Just found this thread, as don’t visit here often.

I’m wanting to start to understand how much of a job money wise a project like this could be as I’d like to have my E30 restored in the next year or two - just don’t know who to talk to.

Any pointers appreciated from you?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Roberts
1990 E30 ///M3
2005 E46 ///M3
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by ///M3Mike ///M3Mike wrote:

Just found this thread, as don’t visit here often.

I’m wanting to start to understand how much of a job money wise a project like this could be as I’d like to have my E30 restored in the next year or two - just don’t know who to talk to.

Any pointers appreciated from you?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike.

I actually restore these cars for a living as i'm one of the owners of www.bmrperformance.co.uk

As with any resto, the body is the most expensive thing to get right and costs can vary depending on how much corrosion there is or previous poor repairs.

Also, replacing any hard to find parts and even just the cost of many of the new parts soon ads up.

As a rough guide an E30 restoration can easily cost £20-30K if you are paying someone to do everything.

The best thing is to get an appraisal of your car by someone who knows them very well to give you some sort of idea as to what it will cost to restore.
///M3Mike View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 1:26pm
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, apologies I didn’t appreciate this was your day job too.

The numbers are sort of what I expected tbh, does that account for any engine work?

Ive always planned to look at this as a project nearer retirement but I’m starting to review that timing. I have a 2 owner E46 that is a mint vehicle that I may consider selling at the appropriate time to release some funds for the E30 project.

In terms of payments are these staged, once figures are agreed? Also how long can a project like this take, not that length of time is an issue to me?

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike Roberts
1990 E30 ///M3
2005 E46 ///M3
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by ///M3Mike ///M3Mike wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, apologies I didn’t appreciate this was your day job too.

The numbers are sort of what I expected tbh, does that account for any engine work?

Ive always planned to look at this as a project nearer retirement but I’m starting to review that timing. I have a 2 owner E46 that is a mint vehicle that I may consider selling at the appropriate time to release some funds for the E30 project.

In terms of payments are these staged, once figures are agreed? Also how long can a project like this take, not that length of time is an issue to me?

Thanks again,

Mike

Those numbers may or may not include engine work as it they can vary massively. Which E30 are we talking about as an S14 engine from an E30 M3 is much more expensive to repair than an M20 from a 325i?

As for payments, yes these are often staged on the bigger projects, body resto, parts purchase, and labour are often stages or a percentage up front and the balance on completion.

If you would like to discuss your project further then please send me an email to info@bmrperformance.co.uk 
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:55pm
Much progress has been made with IIB so its time for a big update.

As work progressed at the bodyshop it was decided that there was no point messing about so i got the car recovered back to my workshop so i could remove all the remaining parts such as the engine and gear box, all brake and fuel pipes, fuel tank, complete body loom and every last clip, fitting and grommet from the engine bay and underside.

Underside with all but the axles removed.  In pretty good shape with a lot of the original beige underseal visible.

The underside came up well after careful cleaning to reveal more of the beige underseal and the black paint in the wheel arches as per original factory finish.

After removing the bulkhead sound insulation i was a little startled initially as it looked covered in surface rust at first glance but the majority of it was just some of the reverse side of the insulation that had stuck to the metal bulkhead, this just scraped off easily to reveal a solid bulkhead.

The inside of the bulkhead in excellent shape.

Back at the bodyshop with both axles removed.

A thorough inspection of inside the wheel arches and underside for any crusty bits or loose underseal meant grinding it back to metal to repair any corrosion however minor.

After repairs were completed and corrosion cleaned, areas were etch primed then 3M spray sealed.

Various brackets removed, repaired and cleaned before going back on.

Some of the areas repaired and the bulkhead cleaned up of that insulation residue.

Underside completely painted in beige colour matched to the original factory sealer, wheel arches blown in matt black as per factory.

All underside and wheel arch repairs completed and how the shell looks now, work has started on bare metaling the top side of the shell as......

This is why the panels need to be taken back to bare metal, several layers of old paint would just mean trouble for the new paint with sinkage, cracking etc.

As the engine is now out i got it on a stand to start work on it.

Stripped to a bare block and head for all the ancillaries and throttle bodies to be improved cosmetically.

Still spotlessly clean internally and seeing as it was rebuilt by BBR approximately 60k miles ago and makes good power im undecided wether to completely strip it but the minimum it will get are a set of rod bearings and ARP rod bolts as well as replacing the Schrick 264 cams for the 284/272 ones i have for it.
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davebrindlee36m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 7:04pm
Excellent post..a big job but the end results will be worth all the hard work your putting in..Clap
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 10:33pm

Getting closer and closer now! The engine bay mid prep.

All of the remaining panels not being replaced now in bare metal to get rid of the multiple layers of previous paint.

Etch primed.

High build primed.

The arduous task of blocking down the primer to get a perfect surface for the base and lacquer.

Painting is imminent!
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 10:48pm

We have some colour!

Fresh lachs silver looks great compared to when its dull and flat but i guess you can say that about pretty much any paint colour. Cant wait to see it in sunlight and even more so looking forward to fitting it back up!

Very pleased with how it has turned out.
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 10:36pm

Safely delivered back at my workshop today so can press on over the xmas/new year break.

Very pleased with how the factory look has turned out. The aim was to replicate what was there before but without the corrosion and flaky sealer.  Beige underseal and just the right amount of body colour over spray along with the black inner wheel arches faded in.

Every orifice from the inside out has been liberally filled with Bolt Hamber UC cavity wax to keep the rust at bay.
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 12:48am

The refit starts! All new engine bay bulkhead sound insulation fitted.

New interior bulkhead upper sound insulation and replacement stick on sound insulation pads cut and fitted where removed for repairs.

complete wiring loom has now been fitted with the engine bay re-wrapped in the correct fabric tape.
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:35pm
Small update. Chipping away at refitting it over the Christmas break.

Routing the body loom in place and wrapping it using the correct tesa cloth tape.

Carpet and HVAC box in place. Both doors have the wiring fitted, complete handle and lock mechs plus window regulators and glass.

Main part of the dashboard in place. There are other various clips, bracket and fittings also in place around the car.
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davebrindlee36m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:06pm
Looking good... I,m really enjoying this post mate..Clap
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 8:45pm
Thanks DaveThumbs Up
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 1:04pm
Fantastic work Barry
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 11:27pm
Thanks Nick.

Chipping away at it,

Bumper brackets have been blasted and painted, various fittings and brackets re plated in the original zinc passivate finish.

New heat shields fitted.

Original bumper side mounts cleaned up and refitted with new speed clips  and spire bolts in the original finish.

Rear lights cleaned up and refitted, new number plate lamps and boot lock fitted.
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 8:49pm

One of the things that triggered the restoration... for those of you who have read the whole tale will remember the front screen being hit by what felt like a rock during a hot lap of the ring. Replaced with a new genuine BMW top tint screen joined by a new genuine rear screen all fitted with new rubber seals at the front and new clips and trims at the rear. Some new scuttle vent trims and all new wiper linkage mounting hardware on the scuttle finish off that area.

New Hirchmann antenna as my original was badly faded. Also my radio reception was never great so hopefully this will improve it.

Picked up some freshly vapour blasted parts removed from the engine .
BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:02pm

For those of you with a good memory, back when i listed the new replacement panels one of them was a sport evo rear spoiler.

For those of you not familiar with the Sport evo it was the last homologated version of the E30 M5 which had a 2.5 engine as well as adjustable front and rear spoilers plus many other changes unique to the Sport evo. The spoilers have always been something that owners of non Evo M3's have retro fitted and ive always been a fan of that look (and function!)

The correct spacers unique to the Sport evo spoiler were fitted, something often missed out be people retro fitting or fitting a replica.

The bolts! These countersunk hex head bolts that hold the adjustable position rear blade to the main spoiler at NLA from BMW.

I had a selection of original ones, 6 corroded and 2 new (8 in total needed) and i was going the get the corroded ones blasted and re- chemical blacked to original finish but a trial fit found that the latest batch of Sport evo spoilers made by BMW had the threaded inserts recessed further in so the original bolts were not long enough,

Some searching online found the correct countersunk M8x1.25mm hex head bolts in a choice of lengths but in stainless so 5mm longer ones did the trick. A coat of satin black had them looking good and the result.....

Very happy with the rear end now! I've now the dilemma as to weather i replace the evo 2 front spoiler with a Sport evo adjustable front to match the rear...

What has become quite noticeable now is the left reverse light being duller than the right hand one so a new left lamp unit is now added to the ever growing list of new parts required.

BSS. View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:21pm

Inside the rear right wheel arch is the fuel tank breather system which is an area often full of mud, rust and holes. The filler neck blasted and painted, vent tank cleaned, all hoses replaced with new and new electro plated fittings.

New Splash guard  and a new metal pipe cover fitted (they have now doubled in price!)  after being painted and cavity waxed on the inside.

Ignore the suspension components as these will be tackled later on but i gave the shock a wipe down for the aid of the pic.

Freshly refurbished 16x7.5 Style 5s by Lepsons shod in my favoured Yokohama AD08R rubber

Starting to look more like a car now. Bumper foils (black stripes) have been applied and new rear badges with the all important M3 badge fitted millimetre perfect as per BMW fitting instructions.
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 11:12pm
That looks bloody amazing....she'll be too good to take on a track now!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>