*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Chatsworth 2009 pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Register Chair
Register Chair

E30 Register & Competition Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 12:59am

Its commitment - thats the ways these concours guys are Jeff - probably cleaning his car knowing Steve - are you working on an article for the mag Jeff

E30 Register joint coordinator - Competition Secretary - Contact name Neil for PM and Email - cabrio_e30@yahoo.co.uk - be aware addicted to E numbers
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Jeffh Jeffh wrote:

SteveH - You need to go to bed mate!

He's an early riser. He has a long black coat with a red lining as well.

The cost is almost irrelevant tbh. £10 is not much if the venue is right but this was easily the worst yet - I'd regard it as an insult to the club and it shows an offhand "stuff 'em" attitude.
A pity Waddesdon were such a pain because that was a nice Venue.

At the risk of being a pain in the ar*e (I know.....), could I suggest Duxford as a concours venue? I know it's not a goer for National Day now, but it's a superb venue for something smaller and would be perfect for Concours. The only reservation would be the dusty track coming in.
pete smith View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 11:37am
totally agree--duxford is a brilliant venue  and we,re going again on sunday
E38 740i
E66 730LD
Bern View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
Central Region Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 12:03pm

Quote At the risk of being a pain in the ar*e (I know.....), could I suggest Duxford as a concours venue? I know it's not a goer for National Day now, but it's a superb venue for something smaller and would be perfect for Concours. The only reservation would be the dusty track coming in.

Not a daft suggestion if this were to be arranged as a private event there with just BMW's . We have previously done this before for 30 cars, with entrance through another gate.
There are also other ways a couple of hundred cars could avoid the dusty entrance road; if the club sell the entrance tickets (i know- more admin) we could avoid the pay kiosk,or, set up other ones on the tarmac road entrance.
If someone from Concours committee wants to follow this up, i can give them my Duxford contact details and any info i already know,or, i can give a prelim proposal.

Edited by NeRo - 30 Jul 2009 at 12:34pm
Drive a BMW and you will have a smile on your face every time (and- drive twice as far as you need to !!)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by AndrewE AndrewE wrote:

The cost is almost irrelevant tbh. £10 is not much if the venue is right but this was easily the worst yet - I'd regard it as an insult to the club and it shows an offhand "stuff 'em" attitude.
[/QUOTE]

Hang on, the cost is almost IRRELEVANT  rubbish £10 is not much? well ok then, to all those members which wern't happy with the fee. give it back, then say 10 quid isnt much. Must be one of the worst events yet, Stoneleigh got slatted, but we didnt need to dodge sheep sh*t

Hope to God we never see Chatsworth again, or should i say s-itsworth.
AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by David round David round wrote:

rubbish £10 is not much? well ok then, to all those members which wern't happy with the fee. give it back, then say 10 quid isnt much.

You will of course notice the bit where I said " £10 is not much if the venue is right". Look in my post, it's still there!
It wasn't right, and that's why even £2 would have sucked.
That means if we'd had a lovely freshly mown lawn in the main grounds, you'd not have grumbled at a tenner. However we were put up against a wall on a bit of old waste ground. I was expecting a firing squad at one point.
steveH View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Concours Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 12:42am
We all agree that the venue was not fit to host our national concours in the state it was given to us. But back when first agreed in Oct 08 it was fine no scaffolding, no hoardings, no sheep and associated s**t and no long grass.
Many car clubs use Chatsworth and from right angles gives supurb backdrop for photo-shoot, however they let us all down so no chance or returning for next few years at least.
Despite ALL that Chatsworth threw AND the rain we still made it a good day with the highest Quality cars on display so just think what 2010 can bring at a better venue. We need your continued support, thanks
(off to bed now!!)
Tell it how it is the Northern way.
AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 6:24pm
Steve - I might be going to Duxford on Sunday - shout if you want a lift down. Then you can have a look around the place and give a considered opinion on its suitability for 2010.
David Leake View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Leake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 8:51pm
We had great support from NW and NE regions inspite of all the adverse weather and comments. I wonder if we will get the same level of support if we go to Duxford.
To the best of my knowledge E. Anglia and Central regions do not organise a regional Concours.

AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:03pm
Location is unimportant. Virtually all of the NE folk were at Waddesdon and Aylesbury is fairly central.
M3 Fan View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3 Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 9:21pm

Location is unimportant. Virtually all of the NE folk were at Waddesdon and Aylesbury is fairly central.

Waddesdon is good.  It's even better that it's just around the corner for me. 

I am glad the discussion is looking to the future, and not focusing on the unfortunate situation at Chatsworth.
M3
steveH View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Concours Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 11:20pm
I agree Duxford is fine for many car club events BUT not our national concours. IMO we need a small 'House' ala Waddesdon or similar in the central area across from Oxford to M1 corridor, which has ample lawn or driveway, toilets and coffee / deli/ cafe, and something of interest for families to enjoy.
Pradip perhaps as your local can you make any suggestions if so feel free to send pm.
This concours committee will always look to the future and your support is fundemental. Thanks in advance.
Bern View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
Central Region Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 9:30am
Originally posted by steveH steveH wrote:

I agree Duxford is fine for many car club events BUT not our national concours. IMO we need a small 'House' ala Waddesdon or similar in the central area across from Oxford to M1 corridor, which has ample lawn or driveway, toilets and coffee / deli/ cafe, and something of interest for families to enjoy.
Pradip perhaps as your local can you make any suggestions if so feel free to send pm.

This concours committee will always look to the future and your support is fundemental. Thanks in advance.

Just a suggestion -- Blenheim Palace.

Another suggestion - contact the National Trust for suitable locations,or, premises that they are promoting.
Drive a BMW and you will have a smile on your face every time (and- drive twice as far as you need to !!)
David Leake View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Leake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 7:24pm
Bern
Blenheim is a wonderful venue but they will not cut the grass either.
AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 7:37pm

I agree Duxford is fine for many car club events BUT not our national concours.

But why?

It's central, it's big, and it has all the points you mention. For a venue that would be perfect for national day (if they were a bit more forward), I can't see why it wouldn't do. Compared with where we were last weekend it's a million times better.

However, if it's a twee country house atmos you want with next to no public exposure, I'd suggest Stanford Hall. A great number of car clubs hold meets there and it is always a good venue.
Nick Wright View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Wright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Another suggestion - contact the National Trust for suitable locations,or, premises that they are promoting.

Agreed.
There are lot's of nice grand houses that would have done us proud.
The Concours Committee wanted to visit the North East and we on the region all thought that Chatsworth House, one of the finest in England would have blown all the other venues away - how wrong we were!
I am afraid we have been spoiled all these years and we expect expect everywhere to be like Harewood's North Lawn when it quite obviously isn't.

If we are unable as a club to actually go and see a few other venues in action hosting a similar event to ours then I think Bernies idea of approacing the Trusts to see which ones they suggest would be suitable is the way to go.

Yorkshire Thoroughbreds did exactly that a few years ago. The Nat Trust suggested Brodsworth Hall near Doncaster as it had just undergone a full makeover and was ready for re-opening that summer - the venue was stunning.
Nostell Priory near Wakefield is another award winning house that has just undergone a vast amount of work - resulting in a BBC commission for one if it's costume dramas - local branches of a number of car clubs use it for shows to great effect.

Perhaps we should be talking to other car clubs as well to see where they go to and if it meets their needs or not.

We definitely need to do more homework for next year.

steveH View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Concours Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 11:49pm
Most un-fair Nick especially as you were not there.
As you state above we all felt chatsworth was right and they did not tell us about the restoration programme or the sheep or they would'nt cut the grass..no-one could have foreseen these issues as they were never even muted.
Your words make it seem homework was not done yet many hours and alternatives were considered before choosing Chatsworth. Such criticism does nothing to inspire those who put in all their free time. A little like saying Donington is in a mess so why should we attend..sure to P155 you off.

Rest assured the concours committee are fully aware of the lessons to be learned from those who were actually there, let alone those going on heresay, and for sure more options need to be considered but alot further south ie north of Oxford across to M1 say junct 15 ish. Harewood and any more north than northamptonshire should not be considered.

any more positive comments will be welcome, non-constructive or un-helpful will be equally shot down. I feel better for that.
Nick Wright View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Wright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 8:27am

No, but I was involved and still feel partially responsible.. we all assumed Chatsworth would be great, got drawn in by the price and perhaps used our imaginations a little too much.

You and I both discussed Chatsworth last year and gave it the thumbs up, yet I had never been, merely seen the publicity pictures.. I assumed wrongly that we would have been on some grand front lawn.. we should have gone and discussed it thoroughly with their events manager and had a tour of the proposed venue.

steveH View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Concours Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Nick Wright Nick Wright wrote:

No, but I was involved and still feel partially responsible.. we all assumed Chatsworth would be great, got drawn in by the price and perhaps used our imaginations a little too much.

You and I both discussed Chatsworth last year and gave it the thumbs up, yet I had never been, merely seen the publicity pictures.. I assumed wrongly that we would have been on some grand front lawn.. we should have gone and discussed it thoroughly with their events manager and had a tour of the proposed venue.

Nick, are you seriously suggesting that this was not done??
Chatsworth ALWAYS holds its car club meets under front wall BUT without all the scaffolding and hoardings. We had to move to very far end resulting in long walks to the facilities etc which was a major factor.
Put simply Chatsworth did not help which compounded by the weather meant we were on up-hill struggle.
This said the standard of the cars presented was on the whole higher than ever with past regular winners now not getting placed which you missed to point out..cos you were'nt there!!!!
hennabm View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 8:22pm
Quote This said the standard of the cars presented was on the whole higher than ever with past regular winners now not getting placed
Were you looking at a different result sheet to me then?
82 323i Henna
90 320iSE - died Apr 21
10 116d Sport
12 1.4 Punto Easy
89 240DL est
11 X3 3.0d SE
kevin_mcnally View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin_mcnally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 8:44pm
I am going to Blenheim palace at the weekend, I can find someone in authority to ask if that helps. 
G12 740Li Sapphire black
E61 LCI 535d MSport Touring, Carbon Black.
E30 M3 Evolution 2, Macao blue 078/500.
E91 2006 330d M Sport Touring, Le Mans blue, manual, sat nav, alcantara.
AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 10:23pm
How about Stanford Hall? As I've said before, this offers two extremely large and well maintained lawns and various clubs hold events there - the Ford AVO club (not noted for huge membership) has it's national day there and Stanford also hosts the Alfa Romeo Owners Club concours.

Can anyone think of a better location?

It's very central (Leics), easy to get to off the M1, is a very pleasant drive off the M1 and best of all they are PROPERLY geared up to accomodate car club events. They know what is expected.

This is worthy of serious consideration. Or you can just bounce from crap location to crap location on a yearly basis!
hennabm View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 10:58pm
Can't be any worse than s**sworth. If the Alfa club go year after year it must have something for them.
82 323i Henna
90 320iSE - died Apr 21
10 116d Sport
12 1.4 Punto Easy
89 240DL est
11 X3 3.0d SE
steveH View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Concours Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 11:35pm
Stanford would be a good choice, Burghley Ho. in Stamford holds Ferrari concours (and horse trials) Althrop is poss. more appealing to wider membership as place of interest so to Radby Hall, Stoner Park, Blenheim Palace, Belvoir Castle and poss more.

In addition to the venue what else can we add to the day other than concours to attract the masses who perhaps want to show / display their cars,enjoy a day out with fellow bmw enthusiasts, with family perhaps??

what about AutoTest??  competitions ie golf putting, boules, football, rounders ie a FUN day held as a garden party where we also hold our concours and show & shine or is this off target and we should just stick to strictly concours for the 100 or so who are interested in this arena??

we need constructive suggestions and ideas of what you think would help make it successful. 
n3dsd View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n3dsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 12:55am
why not combine it with the Northern Concours which is at a good venue and ahas other attractions on the day as well as Harewood house
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

E30 Register & Competition Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 6:47am
Could you provide food like a BBQ or Hogroast...also could do some organised runs to the location from different areas of the country - similar to but smaller than the NU run
E30 Register joint coordinator - Competition Secretary - Contact name Neil for PM and Email - cabrio_e30@yahoo.co.uk - be aware addicted to E numbers
pete smith View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 9:10am
Originally posted by n3dsd n3dsd wrote:

why not combine it with the Northern Concours which is at a good venue and ahas other attractions on the day as well as Harewood house
now there was a fantastic day out
E38 740i
E66 730LD
AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 7:16pm
No, don't combine it with another event. The Northern Concours is an event in its own right and is held at the Harewood House Fathers Day classic car show. It's already busy enough.

Althorpe is okay but I have a feeling it's fearsomely expensive. The PCGB have a much larger membership (about 3/4 times the BMWCC) so can afford it.

I would say Stanford Hall ticks the boxes. It has loos and a cafe, but I doubt it has anywhere to do an autotest.

Dare I say we go halves with the Alfa Club? Now THAT would be an interesting day out.
M3 Fan View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3 Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 7:22pm

Dare I say we go halves with the Alfa Club? Now THAT would be an interesting day out.

Maybe, but I heard Alfa's were not reliable 
M3
AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 7:24pm
They're okay. I had them for years and never had a breakdown. We're going back to the Alfasud era as well!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>