FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

e36,will it be a "classic"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e36,will it be a "classic"
    Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 3:18pm
after a qick conversation with andrew at the club office,something he said got me thinking.
will the e36 ever be a classic,the m3 version its almost certain but what about the lesser models.
the e30 seems to have a huge following,from 1.6 to m3`s,so whats every one thoughts,will the e36 follow in the foot steps of the 30`s???

Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

ian barford View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian barford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 4:01pm
a very good question.
i have a e36 328i sport and have owned it for 9years. i think its great.
i also have a e30m3. i think that is great too.
the e30 will always be a classic as it was of the shark nose era but as things changed and progressed onto the e36, obviously, the shark nose went and in came a newer dynamic 3 series.
as bmw built millions of these things (e36) maybe only the "special" variants will become "collectable" and in my opinion this starts at the 328i sport and onto the ///m variants. m3gt will end up being the top banana due to its homologation status.
i spend a bit of time on e36coupe.co.uk and as you may be aware,, the e36 is hugely popular. the 328i, whether a se, sport, cab, saloon, whatever is among the favourites due to low insurance, maintainance and running costs compared to the m3.
price wise, the m3 is still a little dearer to buy than a sport but the same can be said for the e30's. m3 versus 325i sport
 there are many aftermarket tuners available for e36 models, alpina, schnitzer, hartge, racing dynamics and most of the parts are still available to spruce up an aging e36.
if you had'nt already noticed, i'm shouting for e36 "classic status"
make mine a sport!!!!

Come and join the Trackday Register
dteagles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dteagles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 8:17pm
I'm not convinced that anything other than the very limited editions will become classics in the same way that the E30 M3 has, I think this has something to do with the quantities produced and the lack of racing history/success, certainly nothing like the racing history of the E30.

I've owned an E36 M3 Evo and I loved it, very capable car but it doesn't make me smile like the E30 does!

Cheers,
Darren.

Think about what you can do for the club, not what it can do for you...
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

E30 Register & Competition Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 11:17pm

I will give you what I think although could be wrong as you never know

As Darren says GT1 and GT2 yes but unlikely for the others - sorry

E30 Register joint coordinator - Competition Secretary - Contact name Neil for PM and Email - cabrio_e30@yahoo.co.uk - be aware addicted to E numbers
ian barford View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian barford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 12:51pm
i can see this debate going on for a while yet

Come and join the Trackday Register
dteagles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dteagles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 12:58pm
...and not ending UNTIL the E36 is a classic? 

Think about what you can do for the club, not what it can do for you...
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

E30 Register & Competition Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 1:24pm
.....or until we lose the strength to comment - sadly not all cars will become classics and the newer cars are going to find it more difficult - fact

With the E30 it only really happening now and mostly with the rare and desirable models - there is a thread yonks ago that even refers to 4 door Cortinas etc - only now are people giving them any value as they have all gone - same will happen with Baur's, 4 door Alpinas etcbut sadly not the E36 - too many and not really a loved car when new - or good car make no mistake and an improvement on what went before in terms of use as an everyday car but not a classic my E39 is more likely to become a classic....(goes to put on bullet proof vest) Sorry but we will go round in circles and end up with GT models and race cars - but to repeat great cars just go and see Kumho racing and you will see 
E30 Register joint coordinator - Competition Secretary - Contact name Neil for PM and Email - cabrio_e30@yahoo.co.uk - be aware addicted to E numbers
MartinB View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 11:19pm
I remember similar debates some 10 years ago about whether the E21 would ever be a classic. At that time its potential for classic status was viewed as unlikely; the E21 being compared unfavourably with the 2002 and considered too soft a design. Most E21s have now died away and i'm sure that a good 323i or Baur is viewed as a classic rather than old banger.

Same goes with the E30. I paid £450 for my '87 325i sport in 2003 because it was just considered an old car and nothing more. There was nothing wrong with the car that a little tidying and care couldn't resolve and some 6 years later this car; a less common early metal bumper Sport  is considered a classic. It's still in ownership of another club member and whilst it will never achieve M3 values it's underlying cost has been relatively minimal.

Getting out the crystal ball and gazing into the future I can see the same pattern with the E36. The last convertibles are now 9 years old and earliest saloons 18 years old. Bad and tired examples are being regularly scrapped and this will continue over the next few years. Give it 5 years and those of us still running well cared for lower mileage special versions (coupe / convertible) of the E36 will have these cars viewed as classics. There is also no shame in running a 328i or other smaller engine capacity model rather than an M3 and in terms of maintenance cost / practicality I believe the non  M-car wins long term.

Just my personal opinion and not to be viewed as a negative to the M3 which is also a super car but with potentially more challenging long-term ownership costs.
E36 328i Convertible
E12 M535i (being rebuilt....)
Webdunk View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 10:35am
Interesting thread this. I agree with the earlier comment that the E36 M3 will never attract the status of the E30 M3 IMHO largely as it's never had the handling reputation. That said (again similar to an earlier comment), clean E36s are fewer and further between already and they still have a striking road presence and as Ian alluded to, a few choice parts whether OEM or aftermarket can really make these cars stand out.

I certainly hope the GT attracts the most interest over time  - it looks like there may only be 33 left running with 2 of those being seriously modified track cars. And for me, the running costs are not much different to my old 328i although I do a relatively low mileage due to walking to work and being very handy for various forms of public transport.
 Post Reply Post Reply