FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

E28 Electric rear windows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marinello7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E28 Electric rear windows
    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 4:01pm
Hello All,
         This weekend I retro fitted new regulators and wiring loom for the rear windows of my 518i Lux to make them electric. After a bit of fiddling, I have managed to get them to work using the connectors for the centre console but despite the fact that I have changed switches for ones that worked in the centre console, I cannot get the switches in the door cards to operate the windows, does anyone know of anything I've missed / not connected ? Do I need to put a larger rated fuse in the fuse box at all ?

Thanks

Marinello7
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

hennabm View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 5:32pm
Have you fitted the isolator that switches off the rear windows for safety reasons? Is this affecting the operation?
82 323i Henna
90 320iSE - died Apr 21
10 116d Sport
12 1.4 Punto Easy
89 240DL est
11 X3 3.0d SE
Marinello7 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marinello7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 6:17pm
hello, the only isolator switch I have in the car is the factory fitted one on the knee roll, the centre console switch’s work the rear windows albeit quite slowly, but not the door card ones. I haven’t switched the front isolator off only two switches that came with the loom I bought seem to work, but again these don’t seem to work on the door cards ? I could live with it but hoped all switches would work.

Marinello7 
hennabm View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:52pm
The OEM set up always had the isolator switch. Maybe the lack of it has caused the door mounted switches to be inoperative.

Also it is not unknown for the he switches to be faulty. Try changing them about to see if that has any effect.
82 323i Henna
90 320iSE - died Apr 21
10 116d Sport
12 1.4 Punto Easy
89 240DL est
11 X3 3.0d SE
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marinello7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:58pm
Thanks for the advice, where would the isolator switch for the rear windows go ? Or should it be the one on the knee roll that controls all windows ? I am confused.
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marinello7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:14pm
Isolator switch works on rear windows. But under the gear gaiter where the loom is, are two wires with right angle spade connectors, would they be for rear windows or illuminated gear knob ?
 Post Reply Post Reply