Topic ClosedCastle Combe 2nd April 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Register Chair
Register Chair

E30 Register & Competition Secretary

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Castle Combe 2nd April 2018
    Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 12:35am
The first BMWCCR race of 2018 will take place at Castle Combe and will be the first official BMW Car Club race for many years so please come and support the drivers and enjoy the racing

We hope to have regional displays from Western Wessex and Register displays including E30 E21 and Alpina all members are welcome as we also plan some hospitality and a grid walk is planned with the BMWs on track - we also want to have many photos to record this historical days racing - we hope to see many members there - more info on the clubs Website and Facebook pages - BMW Car Club Racing
E30 Register joint coordinator - Competition Secretary - Contact name Neil for PM and Email - cabrio_e30@yahoo.co.uk - be aware addicted to E numbers
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 12:05pm
The 2nd April 2018 is a Monday, is this the correct day?
n
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 7:20pm
Bank Holiday Weekend - Easter Monday yes so will be a busy weekend for many but an early chance to get your car out for a meeting
E30 Register joint coordinator - Competition Secretary - Contact name Neil for PM and Email - cabrio_e30@yahoo.co.uk - be aware addicted to E numbers
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:10pm
Please for clarification, who is eligible for the BMWCC Race? One assumes it is people with a car modified to meet track race regulations? I don't think I have ever met any members with these cars, so I am wondering where they appear from. Clearly if one has this type of vehicle I can see some benefit, if one likes to watch these cars then I can see that as well. But I am not too sure how this fits in with other club members.
How much per year would it cost for someone who has never owned one of these vehicles and is not able to fix it, to buy one and have it maintained?
n
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:11pm
Lots of questions Norman but we do have members I the club with these cars and many others who enjoy watching so is benefit to the club membership

If you can come along you can meet some of the drivers and take part in the grid walk etc

Cheers neil
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:55pm
Lots of questions, so few answers? I suspect that this hobby is not cheap and therefore perhaps only for those with deep pockets or the technical ability to make the vehicle themselves and finance travelling around from track to track.

I did speak with someone who provides a service whereby the driver who is permitted just turns up and they do all the rest, for not an inconsiderable fee.

If a number of people in the Wessex decide to go I might consider joining them, I have been to Castle Coombe a fair number of times previously, it might be interesting to get the facts first hand.
n
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:59am
Norman - most of the information you may need is on the club links under the Motorsport section - all the dates etc - also on the Facebook page BMWCCR you will find all the updated information - The idea of the BMW Car Club having its own race meetings is to reduce costs and make it more accessable to those wanting to enter the sport - for example the BMWcup cars have been built for c.£5k and the parts are controlled and restricted to prevent 'cheque book' racing - however if people want to spend money they can but the club regulations that would be able to view in detail on the club page has Power to Weight limits to prevent those with money building expensive engines and buying light panels etc.  Most people will understand this - and this thread is designed to be an invite to the regions and registers to come and spectate and display their cars - so its an added Regional Display and also then these members can also assist with hospitality.  Therefore Wessex and Western areas have been invited to coordinate this as one of their events.  If this does not help you then call me - as your posts may confuse people - we want to involve people whether want to race, help organise the regional displays as the races move round the country, help in whatever way they want and come to spectate.  Maybe see you at Castle Combe or Silverstone which is the 2nd round.  Cheers Neil
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 10:48am
Thank you for your reply, I now understand. I did consult with others who seemed equally unaware. I personally would not have looked under motorsport on the Club website which I why I asked the question.

At least for all those who have also not looked you have explained, which is all I wanted to know. It sounds interesting enough, but as it is a Bank Holiday personally I would need to decide what else is going on that weekend. Hope it all goes well for you.

I suspect more likely at Silverstone as I am a season ticket holder there and entry will be included, no extra costs to pay.

Edited by Norrie - 04 Jan 2018 at 10:51am
n
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:07pm
Norman - we are planning to sort FREE tickets for club members who are assisting and putting on a display to promote the club - the first race is my first concern - as we want to get some photos to record the day also
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:25pm
Good, any initiative to get people to interact has to be welcomed, pity members cant get a few laps in their own cars around the track even if it was for 20 minutes, might be an incentive. I talk to people who don't want a whole track day just a bit of a controlled faster drive in safe circumstances within the Db levels.
If they get the fever, then one or two might progress and wish to invest in your type of events?

I will have a further chat with my colleagues from Wessex and ALPINA and get their thoughts, it is all much clearer now.

Edited by Norrie - 04 Jan 2018 at 12:27pm
n
Nick Wright View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:52pm
Car Clubs and racing are intertwined
Clubs as we know them today were spawned by enthusiastic owners wanting to race each other.
Whether you are a clubman novice or a world champion you still need to be a member of an MSA affiliated club to race here in the UK.
When I first joined, members of this club used to race for 'The BMW Car Club Championship' and were very successful.
Sadly, for reasons long forgotten our racing brothers became distant from the main club and formed their own club.
I think it's great that Neil is resurrecting the idea and bringing BMW racing back home where it belongs.

As a Club we should all try and support the racers if we can, the northern regions are planning club stands at our local rounds up here and I'm sure the spectacle will be worth the effort

Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 2:06pm
Nick, your sentiments are admirable. I am all for supporting the Club and it's activities where finances permit. However, if people want to get into this racing at the entry level they will probably need to know, as a minimum, what it would cost them?

I think Neil, suggested it could be done for 5k? Is that plus the cost of the donor car, then I guess you need a trailer, parts, mechanic, fuel, a licence and so on. Then the cost of getting to the track and some accommodation, no disrespect this is a long way from the few pounds membership fee?

I have seen this type of racing at Silverstone and apart from those participating in terms of spectators it is fairly minimal, in terms of motorsport is this not a fairly minority sport?

If there are people interested and the Club does not lose any money then seems fine to me, my worry is that this will seem a fairly low number appeal, I hope not, but it very difficult especially on bank holidays when there are soo many attractions for people to spend disposal income.

Edited by Norrie - 04 Jan 2018 at 2:10pm
n
Register Chair
Register Chair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 3:20pm
Yep £5k if you build it yourself using a £1000 325ti as your base car.
Van & trailer, nothing fancy, another £5000
Race licence & ARDS test £500 (or so) - look for a 'go racing' pack from the MSA
Race entries vary but you should budget £500 per weekend.
Transport, fuel, accommodation - no more expensive than following any other hobby that takes you up and down the country - in fact you kip in the van and eat in the paddock.

Minority sport? I'll pretend I didn't hear that - BTCC is full of drivers that started out in series' like ours. 

You don't need to worry about funding - there will be no impact on club funds.
Spectator wise, yes it will only appeal to some of us but you can bet there will be a good number of BMW fans at any given race you care to mention.. lets try and gather them and get them on our stand or in our display area.

I don't think for one minute we will recruit one racing driver from this forum, that's not the idea. 
But I do know we can put on a good show for our regular members to come and enjoy

Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 3:30pm
Nick, thanks for the realistic reply. It is not a cheap hobby then? If one goes to Silverstone when this racing is on it is possible to go into the pits and walk around all the cars there appears to be no restriction. I think to encourage regular club members to go along there has to be some added attraction or incentive, the prospect of a free entry is a reasonable one, but perhaps it needs to something more than that?

Sounds like a young persons game, I don't even do camping let alone sleeping in a van, also you need to be technically aware, which I am not, keys in and point the right direction at 180 mph plus on the autobahn that was thrill enough for me, whilst in a comfort seat with the climate control on! Sad, but true.

Edited by Norrie - 04 Jan 2018 at 3:35pm
n
Register Chair
Register Chair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 3:52pm
Look at it as an investment in fun.
Factor in that everything you buy can be re-sold.
A used van and trailer will still be worth the £5k you paid in a couple of years.
The car you built for £5k will sell for a profit.
You can even sell your suit, gloves and helmet.
So you are left with consuambles and non refundable expenses as a negative,
But like the advert says, memories of a good adventure.. priceless.

You mention mingling in the pits and paddock - that's standard, we can always do that. 
Some teams may shoo you away but I know you will be welcome to get close and personal with any of the BMW teams.
Other than a free entry to see a full programme of exciting racing, club stand/display area, meet and greet with the teams I don't know what else we need to do to attract you.
You're either into it or you aren't.

Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 5:02pm
Nick, it's really not about me, I am not important. I try to ask probing questions, a bit like a journalist, to get to the heart of the matter. This means, I hope, then when members or potential members see these events posted they know exactly what it is all about? The nuts,bolts and washers shall we say?

It does not mean it is wrong, has no merit, will not attract anyone, is of no interest or has no value. It does mean, like many thinks it may have appeal, which is limited by people's spare time, knowledge, ability and finances. What I do find interesting is that some complain about the cost of membership and at the other end of the scale we have those who can do this, it is indeed a very broad church this club.
n
dtg50 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:49am
I am interested in coming along to spectate & have been on the Castle Coombe website to book the tickets but I have a question.

I see they do a BMW club pass for £10 or Adult ticket for £15 that includes a paddock pass. My question is does the BMW club pass include a paddock pass.

Dean
Wilko58 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 11:54am
I'm taking a day off work to come to this as a spectator (an excuse to take my Z3 out) and I'm a professional photographer, sometimes working for MSVT at Oulton Park. I don't want to take the place of anyone you have booked to take images for sale to the drivers but I'm happy to provide free images for media use in exchange for a Media accreditation.
Register Chair
Register Chair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by dtg50 dtg50 wrote:

I see they do a BMW club pass for £10 or Adult ticket for £15 that includes a paddock pass. My question is does the BMW club pass include a paddock pass.
Dean

Yes, I believe it does at a clubmans race if you are a member of one of the clubs involved

Register Chair
Register Chair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Wilko58 Wilko58 wrote:

I'm taking a day off work to come to this as a spectator (an excuse to take my Z3 out) and I'm a professional photographer, sometimes working for MSVT at Oulton Park. I don't want to take the place of anyone you have booked to take images for sale to the drivers but I'm happy to provide free images for media use in exchange for a Media accreditation.

That's not up to us as its not a BMWCC exclusive booking, having said that it is easy enough to pop into race control and get a press bib

dtg50 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 1:40pm
Thanks Nick,

I am a BMW GB Club member so I would just purchase a club pass for £10 then & this will also give me access to walk around the paddock.

Cheers,

Dean
NMcD View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 9:24pm
Hi - yes the club rate £10 ticket also gives you access to the paddock and pit areas- I have just posted this in the Wessex area so ideally can you add your names to the list on there so keep them all together as we also want to provide breakfast and lunch so will need numbers to cater for together with the drivers - many thanks Neil

If you want to enjoy some good company and racing on Bank Holiday Monday 2nd April - why not come and join the club display already planned at Castle Combe

This will be the first race of the season with many BMW members racing together and enjoying some hospitality on the day:

All regions and registers are invited - but we a would like to know names and cars you are bringing ideally to organise the display.

Already committed are Wessex, Western and Central regions and E21, E30, Trackday  Registers - it would be great to have as many members and interesting cars as possible to show other BMW enthusiasts why its good to join the club.

The BMWs are qualifying at 08.30 and we have some breakfast planned for the drivers and members who are there helping at that point - a grid walk is planned for the BMWs at lunch time 11.30 to 12.30 together with a photo shoot,  with the first race at 12.30, the final BMW race will be at 15.20.  There will however be GT races, Saloon races, Locost and Formula V - so plenty to fill your day.

Come and meet some new people and cars

BMW discounted tickets are £10 only including access to the pits and drivers
Includes a club display with the local dealer and BMWCCI also attending

We are also looking at sorting some lunch so everyone can meet up - time to be confirmed due to the grid walk and photos as we may then do it after the first race at 1pm

Many thanks - please add your name and details below and whether you have already sorted your tickets or need help sorting - thanks Neil

Kyri - E60 M5
Tom - E21 316
Ian - E30 Alpina
Stav - E9
Inga - E46
Carlie - Mini

Would like a lot more so we can cater and give you all a good day

Any questions you can email neil@bmwcarclubgb.co.uk or 07767688233

Cheers 
NMcD View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 9:51pm
Wilko58 - give me a call as we can discuss the option of getting you a media pass to do some photos for the BMW Car Club and the racing - happy to help you as will also help the club - cheers Neil 07767688233
dtg50 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by NMcD NMcD wrote:

Hi - yes the club rate £10 ticket also gives you access to the paddock and pit areas- I have just posted this in the Wessex area so ideally can you add your names to the list on there so keep them all together as we also want to provide breakfast and lunch so will need numbers to cater for together with the drivers - many thanks Neil

If you want to enjoy some good company and racing on Bank Holiday Monday 2nd April - why not come and join the club display already planned at Castle Combe

This will be the first race of the season with many BMW members racing together and enjoying some hospitality on the day:

All regions and registers are invited - but we a would like to know names and cars you are bringing ideally to organise the display.

Already committed are Wessex, Western and Central regions and E21, E30, Trackday  Registers - it would be great to have as many members and interesting cars as possible to show other BMW enthusiasts why its good to join the club.

The BMWs are qualifying at 08.30 and we have some breakfast planned for the drivers and members who are there helping at that point - a grid walk is planned for the BMWs at lunch time 11.30 to 12.30 together with a photo shoot,  with the first race at 12.30, the final BMW race will be at 15.20.  There will however be GT races, Saloon races, Locost and Formula V - so plenty to fill your day.

Come and meet some new people and cars

BMW discounted tickets are £10 only including access to the pits and drivers
Includes a club display with the local dealer and BMWCCI also attending

We are also looking at sorting some lunch so everyone can meet up - time to be confirmed due to the grid walk and photos as we may then do it after the first race at 1pm

Many thanks - please add your name and details below and whether you have already sorted your tickets or need help sorting - thanks Neil

Kyri - E60 M5
Tom - E21 316
Ian - E30 Alpina
Stav - E9
Inga - E46
Carlie - Mini
Dean - E39 M5

Would like a lot more so we can cater and give you all a good day

Any questions you can email neil@bmwcarclubgb.co.uk or 07767688233

Cheers 

Hi Neil,

Just added my name to the list.

Cheers,

Dean.
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 4:26pm
Dean looking forwards to meeting you cheers Nei
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:30am
Hope it all goes better than the weather forecast which is Heavy Rain and breezy, still it is UK and a Bank Holiday we do we expect?
n
Howard View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Norrie Norrie wrote:

Nick, thanks for the realistic reply. It is not a cheap hobby then? If one goes to Silverstone when this racing is on it is possible to go into the pits and walk around all the cars there appears to be no restriction. I think to encourage regular club members to go along there has to be some added attraction or incentive, the prospect of a free entry is a reasonable one, but perhaps it needs to something more than that?

Sounds like a young persons game, I don't even do camping let alone sleeping in a van, also you need to be technically aware, which I am not, keys in and point the right direction at 180 mph plus on the autobahn that was thrill enough for me, whilst in a comfort seat with the climate control on! Sad, but true.

Norrie,
Anyone who goes to a Silverstone event ends up paying through the nose.
The first time I went was many years ago, and I only wanted to visit our club stand to take a photo of an E9 for the website. Cost me £50 to get in. I had to pay for a 3 day ticket. Since then I have refused to go to Silverstone unless I got a free pass. Not many available.
Track days on average cost about £200 on average to  join, and another £250 in brakes, tyres and fuel. You aught to try one Norrie. At my age, ( and you are possibly not far away) when you are cornering on the brink using just steering and throttle, it can be better than sex. Have a good Easter. If it did not take a day each way to get to Devon I would be joining the racers myself. As it is, I will join them later in the year at one of the nearer venues. Have a good Easter Monday at Silverstone.
1988 635csi,
2002 E39 525i, 2001 E38 740i
2003 E39 525i motorsport
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 11:31am
Howard, some facts for you. Silverstone racing club membership cost 75 pounds, annual season ticket to all events* including the Classic 275 per year, works out to about 5 pounds if you go to every meet every day they are on. Much cheaper prices for F1, members 225 for 3 day ticket, free parking and clubhouse use. We have a xmas lunch in the BRDC club house and a FREE track morning.

* annual season ticket includes one day of F1 and Moto GP in price.

Silverstone is a Pistonheads event on bank holiday Monday - forecast same as Castle Coombe , heavy rain, windy, cold.

Good Easter is in Essex, near high Easter and Cold Christmas is in Hertfordshire.

I think you have a minimum of 20 years on me, Howard!

The ALPINA B7 is a luxury limo with fast acceleration and high speed, not made for the track, but has been around Silverstone. Reason BMW never made an M7!

Edited by Norrie - 31 Mar 2018 at 3:16pm
n
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Howard Howard wrote:

when you are cornering on the brink using just steering and throttle, it can be better than sex.

Hmm, just wondering if I should discuss this with my wife before or after Cadwell Park on the 14th MayEvil Smile
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 6:02pm
Norm come to the castle combe Trackday and we can take you round as a passenger plus we have novice sessions if want to experience the full 10 tenths on a club event could put a smile on your face

Edited by Cabrio - 31 Mar 2018 at 6:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>