FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Battery keeps dying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davy1345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery keeps dying
    Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 6:10pm
Hi guys every couple off days my battery keeps dying in my E46 330d sport, when it dies it's just makes ticking noise could go out after few hours and just dead, know there's few things was just wondering what the options are. My heater seems too make a noise as well as if it's blowing but it's turned off, wonder if it could be related, any help appreciated thanks guys
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Tony View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 2:54pm
Is the car being used in-between these events, or is it just sitting there?

Have you checked that the battery is still charging, or that the alternator is providing sufficient current to the battery to charge it?
2006 Z4MC
164k mile, Individual Ruby Black, Extended Champagne & Piano Black trim
Davy1345 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davy1345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 6:03pm
The car is stationery when sounds like heater is blowing from inside, I jumped started the car yesterday after work because it was outside my house on main road and park it in driveway, the battery light is also staying on, few nights ago at night when it was sitting idle the lights on dash got dimmer and dimmer then just stalled
Roger123 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 5:35pm
Battery light on, and lights getting dimmer whilst the engine is running, points to an alternator fault.  I.e. it ain't charging the battery!  Get the garage to confirm it's not working, then replace alternator.
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:24am
Agree with above, get garage to check alternator. If that is working, how old is your battery, consider replacing. If problem persists afterwards it may be that something is draining the battery like a faulty module, you will need diagnostics check for this. Hopefully not the latter as these are difficult to find and costly in labour time.
n
RParkinson View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RParkinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:28pm
If the battery has been flattened several times it will have a severely reduced capacity and should be replaced anyway.  Car batteries really don't like being deep cycled and are quickly damaged beyond repair.

If the alternator is OK then there are a couple of common faults that you should check.

1) The FSU, Final Stage Unit, Resistor Pack or Hedgehog.  It's used to control the fan speed and they are prone to failure which can result in current draw with the ignition off.  These are not too expensive and is a reasonably easy DIY to swap.

2) If you have Nav then you may have Traffic Master unit, these can fail but can now be removed as the service is no longer active.

3) Older built in car phones.  Again, unless you like the retro appeal they can be disabled as most people don't use them now.

4) After market iBus devices.  This would usually cover USB or iPod interfaces that replace the CD Changer.  Sometimes these devices can keep the entire car awake by transmitting messages on the iBus when they shouldn't.  If you have anything like this it's worth taking it out to see f the problem goes away.

5) Any other iBus connected module, unfortunately that's most of the electronics modules and can be very hard to find.  The only way is to measure the current draw when the car is in deep sleep mode, this is usually about 15 minutes after the last 'activity' (for example locking the car or closing a door). You have to test by locking the car with the boot open (so you can see the meter) then letting the car enter sleep mode.  If the current draw is more than 10mA or so, then you have a problem.  You can then proceed to remove fuses to try and isolate the faulty component, but this can take several days.  If you are really unlucky you may have a module that randomly wakes up making detection doubly difficult, you'd have to monitor the current draw over 24 or 48 hours to see if you have this type of problem.
2013 F06 M6 Gran Coupe
2003 E39 M5
1980 E26
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:06pm
Mr Parkinson with a much more detailed account than mine. Like many things it depends on how technically minded you are, the tools and kit you have and how much time you might spend finding or trying to find something that other might more quickly.

I had this flat battery problem on my ALPINA, just glad I had warranty it took age for the dealer to find the module which was the problem and as stated the more electrics on the car, including a tracker ( which is working all the time), the harder to find. Might be fun in a warm garage on a winter's afternoon.
n
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by RParkinson RParkinson wrote:

2) If you have Nav then you may have Traffic Master unit, these can fail but can now be removed as the service is no longer active.

3) Older built in car phones.  Again, unless you like the retro appeal they can be disabled as most people don't use them now.

4) After market iBus devices.  This would usually cover USB or iPod interfaces that replace the CD Changer.  Sometimes these devices can keep the entire car awake by transmitting messages on the iBus when they shouldn't.  If you have anything like this it's worth taking it out to see f the problem goes away.

My E46 Touring has three of Richard's weak spots on board. But I like them so they stay. As a result my E46 can suck the battery dry in a couple of weeks. I responded by putting in the biggest/highest capacity Bosch S5 battery that would physically fit, plus putting the car on a CTEK if it doesn't get used for two weeks or more.
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Davy1345 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davy1345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:56am
Problem solved cheers guys you's where right, alternator has had it, only 7 volts going threw it, old one out and reconed she's good as new 😃, thanks for all your help guys it's greatly appreciated, now for another thread on oil in my expansion tank 🤣
rpennington View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 12:57pm
Glad to hear you got your battery problem solved. Regards to the oil in expansion tank, that will possibly be an oil cooler problem.

Regards
Rich
1999 E46 323i se Saloon - sold
2011 E90 325d msport - sold
2014 F30 335d xdrive msport plus pack
Davy1345 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davy1345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:56pm
Cheers rich, the oil smells like a smokey type smell, when I dipped it it, is the oil cooler expensive job rich? Oil cooler expensive?
rpennington View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Davy1345 Davy1345 wrote:

Cheers rich, the oil smells like a smokey type smell, when I dipped it it, is the oil cooler expensive job rich? Oil cooler expensive?

Hi Davy
I have replied to this question in your other post ( oil in expansion tank ) as to keep forum topics in order.

Rich
1999 E46 323i se Saloon - sold
2011 E90 325d msport - sold
2014 F30 335d xdrive msport plus pack
 Post Reply Post Reply