FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Todays Gaydon 14th August

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Syxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 9:14pm
So this year has had a mixed bag of opinions I think some has been a little unwarranted.

Personally for me although wasn't the best ever but, I think it was better than last year and had a great day. Seemed to be more forum/club stands which is a good thing and seemed busier.

Few things which I feel could do with improvement was the placement of a few stands on where the 100 year picture was taken. It was only when I went over the hill did I spot more cars to go see. So maybe if they brought in more into the field area?

The jet bike thing I didn't see the point of.

Trade stands were lacking this year not sure why but I hope its something the car club can address for next year.

A new location would be something to consider or maybe alternate between Gaydon and one other?

I also feel divisive comments doesn't help the club or the show with regards to members and non members who are with a forum stand. I think the way the show has gone in having more forum/club stands for the last 7 years or so is a step in the right direction and we have a passion for all things BMW.

I'll be continually turning up to the show each year and hope the Club does take onboard some constructive feedback for the better.
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

richardbaxter View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardbaxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 2:49pm
It makes fascinating reading this post, the positives I personally take from it are that it is easy to react to a few heavily opinionated comments and begin to believe it is the widely held view, when in fact it is not necessarily the case.

Another positive is that we agreed at the end of the day (of the show) that we need to involve all regular attendees in a discussion and from the outset i.e. now and not a few days/weeks before the event. For the largest criticism by far was for M3 Cutters to be parked at the very top and I can take full responsibility for that decision having originally placed them on the midway grass terrace (by the children's play area) and then just before the show was asked that they be given a smooth flat surface since last year one of the forum members had damaged their car on the uneven grass surface - so if we had agreed areas in principle from the outset we could have avoided their disappointment. 

I have tried to register on their forum to explain but still awaiting notification that the registration is accepted. I also think they could have helped themselves by having a feather flag for I did not see any self promotion other than appeared on the windscreen hangers - was I wrong?

It is positive when comments on improvements are made but a big shame when they very quickly descend into personal quarrels. Again personally I have no issue with who attends the show as we are united by our appreciation and interpretation of the BMW marque and the value of the national festival is to meet up with old and new faces to shoot the breeze.

There is also the passion that runs through which we feed to each other, take Jonathan Aucotts Polaris Silver CSL which has just completed an awe inspiring restoration, very soon we had a group of old hands around the engine bay enjoying the closest one can get to owning a brand new 1972 CSL in 2016, the attention to detail, time and energy in achieving this result was a joy. What added to this were the comments, suggestions, knowledge to some of the detail that was not quite correct.

On the other extreme was 'Brucey' belonging to Nina, a modified car built to her request in a colour close to Taiga Green from the 1970's, but this time in a 1 series with the E92 V8 M3 engine and gearbox etc etc. a stunningly one off and very personal car.

It was also very encouraging that many members just quietly rolled up their sleeves and helped enormously with the setting up and dismantling of the show - big thank - you's    

gazza4266 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazza4266 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 8:56pm
I wasn't going to comment
But why not
It was my first concours loved it even if I didn't win.fan people.yes some are debatable because of mods .and some had a full metal rebuild to me that's not original.one for the office to decide .
On Sunday I met so many lovely people some I havent seen since I last went to
Gaydon in 2008.
I think for me its because I've been to Essen this year with the club and visited 5 regions and gone to Santa pod 3 times with other forums .
Did more chatting than viewing not a bad thing.
But the mix of various clubs keep it up .
The voulenteers great job.
The jet bike unless its powered by BMW don't do again.could have put a few nice BMWs in the space .
Apart from that big thumbs up both days for me
bonzo View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 12:24am
Been to  Gaydon many times this year i parked in Wessex region met chairman of our region,and made some new friends. I called into club office and had a chat with the girls. Spent time talking to many other members about their cars. I thought this was the best year ever, the organisers made a very good job and i know how much time and effort went into making it a great  day for all, well done. I have been doing a recruitment drive in my region to try to get bmw owners to join  the club.  I hope GAYDON stays with us for years to come, best event of the year. I and a group of friends i did not leave till nearly six. Looking forward to next year! A final word to the club  organisers don,t let the negative waves of the few get to you carry doing the terrific job you are doing. Big smile
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 8:17am
I viewed a clip someone had posted on you tube, as I arrived early and was positioned near the old main building entrance. I had no idea that any cars were not being sent down the spine road, but being positioned what seems to me a very long way from the main activity. I can understand, now the frustration of some who may have thought I was happy about that? I actually had no idea they were there. The positioning has been explained claiming the cars were repositioned from the spine road to a flat piece of ground as the request of that group due to some issue about damage to a vehicle in the former location. I don't know if that is true or not?

It does seem crazy to me that when it is claimed there were so many empty spaces in the Club own M area that others should be allocated a space so far away? Perhaps the solution is that all M Cars park in the prime location and this is divided within groups if desired.

Does anyone know if this is the first time people have been place behind the bank, from the video it looks like you would need to need to walk up the bank and past the children play area and then down a track to another area?

I therefore do have sympathy with those who were effectively put in an area out of way and can see that perhaps the majority would have preferred to be in the regular location.

I genuinely had no idea they were there as I never left the bottom area except when exiting the event. I guess the positive is that this now highlights the need to make proper consideration for all people attending and it will be interesting to see how the organisers resolve this to the satisfaction of all owners.

The Club has an open door policy to all BMW owners so it will now need to accommodate them all properly.

Edited by Norrie - 07 Sep 2016 at 11:26am
n
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123